We’re looking for a developer with Drupal and PHP skills to join our successful web design and development company.
Much of the work we do is based in both Drupal and WordPress, and the nature of our projects frequently requires the development of custom modules. Your core work will therefore be CMS integration and custom PHP development.
You’ll be joining three other PHP developers; two designers (who also build front-end components when needed); and a front-end lead with CMS integration experience.
We have plenty of design and front-end capability already, so while a good knowledge of HTML is essential, you won’t be working with much Sass/CSS or marking up designs. Designs will be translated to a component library or design system ready for you to integrate with a CMS platform, layout builder or similar. You’ll have support from a front-end developer to help user interfaces render in a maintainable, accessible, and performant way.
Our ideal candidate will enjoy solving technical development challenges, implementing robust integrations with third-party APIs, assisting designers with the more technical aspects of custom theme development, and influencing the evolution of our technical stack.
The successful applicant will be based at home. Headscape no longer has a permanent office, but we do meet up from time to time in person.
Rights to work in the UK
Applicants must have unrestricted rights to work in the UK when they apply.
This is a full-time position.
- Custom PHP development for websites and web applications built on Drupal.
- Testing, maintenance and troubleshooting of existing sites.
- Working as part of a team to find solutions to Drupal, PHP, and integration development challenges.
- Experience of PHP development for custom websites and web applications based on Drupal 7, 8, and 9.
- Experience of setting up and maintaining Drupal websites.
- Experience of working with MySQL.
- Experience of object oriented coding.
- Experience of working in a professional development environment using an IDE, code repositories, and well managed deployment processes.
- Experience of working with external APIs to enable websites to integrate with third party systems.
- Experience of Linux server configuration.
- Experience of website development and server security best practices.
- Demonstrable ability to work with team members, including front-end developers, and independently.
- Demonstrable ability to work remotely in a focused and reliable way, even when under pressure.
- Keen to learn, and to embrace emerging web technologies.
- Ability to switch rapidly between projects when the inevitable demands of agency working require it.
- WordPress-based web development, including custom plugin development and WordPress theming.
- Experience of setting up and maintaining WordPress websites.
What we can offer
A baseline salary between £40k and £50k depending on experience.
You’ll get 20 days of paid holiday, plus paid bank holidays, and discretionary paid holiday between Christmas and New Year. We say ‘discretionary’, but there hasn’t been a year yet since 2002 when we haven’t done this.
Also, we have a holiday bonus scheme that rewards Headscape people for long service. From your third year of employment onwards you’ll get an additional day’s paid holiday per year up to five additional days.
We’ll help you to build your knowledge and skills. Much of that will be from your new colleagues, but we’re happy to provide more formal training if that’s what’s needed.
We’re a small, close-knit team of professionals who care deeply about the quality of work we produce for our clients. We’ve built a supportive, caring environment, and we really do work well together. You’ll be joining a company with low staff turnover – when people join us they tend to stay part of the team for many years.
We’ll provide you with a high-end MacBook, and help with anything you need to have a comfortable, productive home working environment.
Please send your CV together with a covering email summarising why you think you could become a part of the Headscape team to [email protected].
We particularly encourage applicants who would enhance Headscape’s diversity.