We’re looking for a developer with strong PHP skills to join our successful web design and development company.
The majority of the work we do is based in WordPress and Drupal, but the nature of our projects frequently requires the development of custom Drupal modules and WordPress plugins. Your core work will therefore be CMS integration and custom PHP development.
From time to time we take on projects requiring more bespoke application development such as Laravel.
You’ll be joining one senior developer and one mid-level PHP developer; two designers (who also build front-end components when needed); and a front-end Lead with CMS integration experience.
We have plenty of design and front-end capability already, so while a good knowledge of HTML is essential, you won’t be working with much Sass/CSS or marking up designs. Designs will be translated to a component library or design system ready for you to integrate with a CMS platform, layout builder or similar. You’ll have support from a front-end developer to help user interfaces render in a maintainable, accessible, and performant way.
Our ideal candidate will enjoy solving technical development challenges, implementing robust integrations with third-party APIs, the more technical side of theme development when our front-end developers need assistance, and influencing the evolution of our technical stack.
The successful applicant will be based at home, but will be expected to work occasionally in our offices in Winchester, and participate in occasional meetings with clients in the UK, when COVID-19 restrictions permit.
Rights to work in the UK
Applicants must have unrestricted rights to work in the UK when they apply.
This is a full-time position.
- Custom PHP development for websites and web applications.
- Testing, maintenance and troubleshooting of existing sites.
- Working as part of a team to find solutions to PHP development challenges.
- Several years experience of PHP development for custom websites and web applications.
- Several years experience of working with MySQL.
- Several years experience of object oriented coding.
- Several years experience of working in a professional development environment using an IDE, code repositories, and well managed deployment processes.
- Working with external APIs to enable websites to integrate with third party systems.
- Experience of Linux server configuration.
- Experience of website development and server security best practices.
- Demonstrable ability to work with team members, including front-end developers, and independently.
- Demonstrable ability to work remotely in a focused and reliable way, even when under pressure.
- Keen to learn, and to embrace emerging web technologies.
- Drupal-based web development including custom module development and Drupal theming.
- WordPress-based web development, including custom plugin development and WordPress theming.
- Experience of maintaining and administering Drupal websites.
- Experience of maintaining and administering WordPress websites.
What we can offer
A baseline salary of up to £40k depending on experience.
You’ll get 20 days of paid holiday, plus paid bank holidays, and discretionary paid holiday between Christmas and New Year. We say ‘discretionary’, but there hasn’t been a year yet since 2002 when we haven’t done this.
Also, we have a holiday bonus scheme that rewards Headscape people for long service. From your third year of employment onwards you’ll get an additional day’s paid holiday per year up to five additional days.
We’ll help you to build your knowledge and skills. Much of that will be from your new colleagues, but we’re happy to provide more formal training if that’s what’s needed.
We’re a small, close-knit team of professionals who care deeply about the quality of work we produce for our clients. We’ve built a supportive, caring environment, and we really do work well together. You’ll be joining a company with an incredibly low staff turnover – when people join us they tend to stay part of the family for many years.
We’ve partially home worked since we started the business in 2002. We have an office in Winchester that we get together in.
We’ll provide you with a high-end MacBook, and help with anything you need to have a comfortable, productive home working environment.
Please send your CV together with a covering email summarising why you think you could become a part of the Headscape family to [email protected].
Please provide samples of code from website projects you’ve worked on. Please include a brief description of any custom modules in any work you are submitting, and of your responsibilities for the work.
Being mostly a sea of straight white male faces, with a couple of notable exceptions, we particularly encourage applicants who would enhance Headscape’s diversity.